Gonzato: Independent Media Key in Fighting Disinformation

EU Ambassador to Albania Silvio Gonzato said fighting disinformation requires promoting independent and professional media. It also requires strengthening freedom of expression.

Gonzato said independent media forms a key pillar of EU rule-of-law principles. It also shows a country’s readiness to join the European Union.

He said, “Disinformation affects public debate. It polarizes opinions, spreads doubt, and undermines democracy. Lies travel fast, but fact-checking takes work. Yesterday marked International Fact-Checking Day. We spent it with those who deliver accurate, verified, and transparent information to Albanians every day.”

The event, organized by “Faktoje,” the Dutch Embassy, and GIZ Albania, gathered EU member-state representatives in the Albanian Parliament, media experts, and local fact-checkers.

Gonzato said the gathering offered a strong opportunity to reaffirm joint commitment. He said it strengthens society’s resilience against disinformation and malicious influence.

/a.c/

The post Gonzato: Independent Media Key in Fighting Disinformation appeared first on RTSH English.

Original post Here

News
Rama to gather government cabinet in Pogradec

Prime Minister Edi Rama will gather his government cabinet for a two-day meeting in Pogradec on August 23 and 24. The meeting will be held in a “retreat” format, with ministers expected to report on the work carried out so far and present their priorities for the coming months. The …

News
President Begaj in Italy, welcomed by Mattarella and Meloni; supports Albania’s athletes at the Mediterranean Games

President of the Republic Bajram Begaj has visited Italy, where he attended the opening ceremony of the “Taranto 2026” Mediterranean Games in support of the Albanian team of athletes. During the visit, President Begaj was welcomed by his Italian counterpart, Sergio Mattarella, as well as by Italian Prime Minister Giorgia …

News
Excavations in Zubin Potok completed

The excavation and exhumation of human remains at three locations in Mala Kaludra and Jabuka, in Zubin Potok, where three mass graves have been confirmed, have been completed, Kosovo’s Government Commission on Missing Persons announced. The excavations began in late July in villages in northern Kosovo, and authorities have confirmed …