Kosova approves temporary measures to prevent rise in basic goods prices

TIRANA, April 3 – Kosova’s government has approved a draft law introducing temporary measures on essential products during market instability. The initiative aims to prevent price increases for basic goods during global crises.

Prime Minister Albin Kurti said the law responds to repeated price shocks and market uncertainty. He stressed that recent global crises have directly affected citizens’ living costs. According to him, the government seeks to prevent abuse and artificial price increases during such periods.

Kurti said the law does not interfere with the free market. Instead, it protects it from misuse in exceptional situations. He explained that the measure creates a necessary balance between market freedom and the state’s responsibility to protect the public interest. The draft law introduces clear tools for temporary, fact-based intervention without causing long-term market distortions.

He added that the law will ensure supply and maintain affordable prices for essential goods in times of crisis. It will also prevent speculation and unjustified profits at the expense of citizens. In addition, it allows faster institutional response when the market destabilises. A new independent board will base decisions on data and public interest.

Kurti noted that European Union countries apply similar mechanisms. He said Kosova has faced global crises since 2020, which have impacted citizens and the economy.

Alongside this measure, the government also approved a draft law on mandatory health insurance. Kurti said this step aims to strengthen the healthcare system and improve access to services.

/a.p./

The post Kosova approves temporary measures to prevent rise in basic goods prices appeared first on RTSH English.

Original post Here

News
Excavations in Zubin Potok completed

The excavation and exhumation of human remains at three locations in Mala Kaludra and Jabuka, in Zubin Potok, where three mass graves have been confirmed, have been completed, Kosovo’s Government Commission on Missing Persons announced. The excavations began in late July in villages in northern Kosovo, and authorities have confirmed …

News
Sokrat Vata testifies in court and admits to killing the young Portuguese man: I apologize to his family!

Euronews journalist Eni Ferati has obtained the testimony given before the Saranda Court by Sokrat Vata, the suspect in the killing of a 21-year-old Portuguese tourist, Luis Miguel Varela Mendes in Ksamil. Vata admitted responsibility for the killing but gave his account of the circumstances, claiming that amid the mass …

News
Rama to gather government cabinet in Pogradec

Prime Minister Edi Rama will gather his government cabinet for a two-day meeting in Pogradec on August 23 and 24. The meeting will be held in a “retreat” format, with ministers expected to report on the work carried out so far and present their priorities for the coming months. The …