Kurti Requests EU Candidate Status for Kosovo: “Serbia Attacks Instead of Cooperating”

Kosovo’s acting Prime Minister, Albin Kurti, following a meeting with European Commissioner for Enlargement Marta Kos, called for Kosovo’s advancement in the EU integration process, including obtaining candidate country status.

He stated that Kosovo is not asking for shortcuts or a “back door,” but only for a merit-based process.

At the same time, Kurti emphasized the need for those responsible for the terrorist attack in Banjska, Zvečan, to face justice, saying that without accountability, the risk to security remains high.

“This is a challenge both for security and for regional cooperation,” he said, while speaking about what he described as Serbia’s destructive approach toward Kosovo.

During the joint press conference with Commissioner Kos, the acting Prime Minister stated that finding unity within the European Union to make decisions regarding Kosovo is a shared responsibility.

According to him, the renewed momentum for EU enlargement should result in Kosovo’s deserved advancement.

“It has been more than 40 months since we applied, and the renewed enlargement momentum within the EU should result in Kosovo’s deserved advancement. Public support for the EU and EU membership consistently remains around 90% in our country and is among the highest of all candidate countries.

We are aware of the challenges that exist, but unity in engagement is required. Finding unity within the EU to make decisions regarding Kosovo is a shared task. Of course, we are working with member states, but the EU institutions must push this unity forward.

Enlargement is the most successful instrument of the EU’s foreign policy. The vacuum left by the EU is being targeted by other malicious actors who undermine EU values and threaten our shared security. Therefore, it is the responsibility of all of us for Kosovo to advance in the integration process,” Kurti declared.

Kurti stated that Kosovo has made progress in the key pillars that, according to him, should be recognized by the European Union in the context of enlargement.

He once again called for accountability regarding terrorist attacks carried out in Kosovo.

“Accountability for these attacks is essential, because without accountability the risk to our security remains high. We have an aggressive neighbor that attacks instead of cooperating. This is a challenge both for security and for regional cooperation. Nevertheless, we are proactive and have contributed to the economic integration of the region,” he said.

The post Kurti Requests EU Candidate Status for Kosovo: “Serbia Attacks Instead of Cooperating” appeared first on Euronews Albania.

Original post Here

News
Rama to gather government cabinet in Pogradec

Prime Minister Edi Rama will gather his government cabinet for a two-day meeting in Pogradec on August 23 and 24. The meeting will be held in a “retreat” format, with ministers expected to report on the work carried out so far and present their priorities for the coming months. The …

News
President Begaj in Italy, welcomed by Mattarella and Meloni; supports Albania’s athletes at the Mediterranean Games

President of the Republic Bajram Begaj has visited Italy, where he attended the opening ceremony of the “Taranto 2026” Mediterranean Games in support of the Albanian team of athletes. During the visit, President Begaj was welcomed by his Italian counterpart, Sergio Mattarella, as well as by Italian Prime Minister Giorgia …

News
Excavations in Zubin Potok completed

The excavation and exhumation of human remains at three locations in Mala Kaludra and Jabuka, in Zubin Potok, where three mass graves have been confirmed, have been completed, Kosovo’s Government Commission on Missing Persons announced. The excavations began in late July in villages in northern Kosovo, and authorities have confirmed …