Finance minister Malaj: Defence budget reaches 2.6% of GDP, ALL 10.3 billion extra for security and Armed Forces modernisation

TIRANA, July 2 – Finance Minister Petrit Malaj said the government strengthens national defence through the 2026 budget normative act. He said the measure also fulfils Albania’s NATO commitments.

Malaj said the normative act allocates an additional ALL 10.3 billion for the defence sector. He also said the Armed Forces will gain 300 new personnel.

He said these changes bring the defence budget to 2.6% of gross domestic product. He said the goal focuses on modernising defence capacities, improving operational readiness and strengthening national security.

Malaj said the government uses the 2026 budget normative act to reinforce national defence and meet NATO obligations. He said the additional funding and personnel increase support modernisation and raise the country’s security level.

He said Albania aims to become “a safer country, a stronger country and a worthier ally.”

/a.p./

The post Finance minister Malaj: Defence budget reaches 2.6% of GDP, ALL 10.3 billion extra for security and Armed Forces modernisation appeared first on RTSH English.

Original post Here

News
Rama to gather government cabinet in Pogradec

Prime Minister Edi Rama will gather his government cabinet for a two-day meeting in Pogradec on August 23 and 24. The meeting will be held in a “retreat” format, with ministers expected to report on the work carried out so far and present their priorities for the coming months. The …

News
President Begaj in Italy, welcomed by Mattarella and Meloni; supports Albania’s athletes at the Mediterranean Games

President of the Republic Bajram Begaj has visited Italy, where he attended the opening ceremony of the “Taranto 2026” Mediterranean Games in support of the Albanian team of athletes. During the visit, President Begaj was welcomed by his Italian counterpart, Sergio Mattarella, as well as by Italian Prime Minister Giorgia …

News
Excavations in Zubin Potok completed

The excavation and exhumation of human remains at three locations in Mala Kaludra and Jabuka, in Zubin Potok, where three mass graves have been confirmed, have been completed, Kosovo’s Government Commission on Missing Persons announced. The excavations began in late July in villages in northern Kosovo, and authorities have confirmed …