Albanian Journalists’ Union Condemns Attacks on Reporters During Parliament Protest

The Albanian Journalists’ Union (UGSH) has condemned attacks against journalists during Thursday’s protest outside Parliament, describing acts of violence against media workers carrying out their reporting duties as criminal acts that cannot be tolerated.

In a statement, the Union said that amid clashes between protesters and police, journalists, camera operators and other media staff were subjected to verbal and physical attacks while covering the demonstration.

“The Albanian Journalists’ Union condemns every verbal and, above all, physical attack against reporters, camera operators, media staff and even media vehicles while they are carrying out their professional duties,” the statement said.

The Union described the attacks on journalists’ microphones, cameras and media crews as “criminal acts,” calling on authorities to hold those responsible accountable regardless of who they are.

UGSH urged journalists to publicly document and identify anyone responsible for threatening or attacking media workers and called on the Albanian State Police to investigate and prosecute all individuals who assault, intimidate or harass journalists on duty.

The organisation also appealed to protest organisers to take responsibility for preventing attacks and harassment against reporters covering demonstrations.

At the same time, UGSH called on the Director General of the State Police and the Interior Minister to ensure journalists can work safely, noting that in some cases police officers had accused reporters of “working for foreign interests” despite them being clearly identified as members of the press.

The Union said Thursday marked “an alarming record” of physical attacks and threats against journalists, warning that the incidents represent a serious blow to press freedom and the ability of media professionals to report freely from public demonstrations.

The post Albanian Journalists’ Union Condemns Attacks on Reporters During Parliament Protest appeared first on Euronews Albania.

Original post Here

News
Sokrat Vata testifies in court and admits to killing the young Portuguese man: I apologize to his family!

Euronews journalist Eni Ferati has obtained the testimony given before the Saranda Court by Sokrat Vata, the suspect in the killing of a 21-year-old Portuguese tourist, Luis Miguel Varela Mendes in Ksamil. Vata admitted responsibility for the killing but gave his account of the circumstances, claiming that amid the mass …

News
Rama to gather government cabinet in Pogradec

Prime Minister Edi Rama will gather his government cabinet for a two-day meeting in Pogradec on August 23 and 24. The meeting will be held in a “retreat” format, with ministers expected to report on the work carried out so far and present their priorities for the coming months. The …

News
President Begaj in Italy, welcomed by Mattarella and Meloni; supports Albania’s athletes at the Mediterranean Games

President of the Republic Bajram Begaj has visited Italy, where he attended the opening ceremony of the “Taranto 2026” Mediterranean Games in support of the Albanian team of athletes. During the visit, President Begaj was welcomed by his Italian counterpart, Sergio Mattarella, as well as by Italian Prime Minister Giorgia …