TIRANA, August 19 – British media outlet Wales Online reports that Albania is experiencing a surge in tourist demand as travelers seek more affordable alternatives to expensive Mediterranean destinations. Holiday bookings for Albania have risen by 293% compared with last year, according to Thomas Cook.
Nicholas Smith, director of dynamic packaging at Thomas Cook, said Albania had long remained one of the travel industry’s best-kept secrets. He said the latest figures showed that travelers could enjoy beaches, history, food and sunshine at a lower cost than in major Mediterranean destinations. Wales Online also noted direct summer flights from London, Birmingham, Manchester, Edinburgh and Liverpool.
The report highlights Albania’s coastline, Tirana, Durrës, Vlora and Ksamil among the destinations attracting visitors. It describes the Albanian Riviera as an alternative to Greece and Italy, with clear waters, Mediterranean weather and generally lower prices. The report also mentions Berat and Gjirokastër for their historic architecture and cultural heritage.
Wales Online further highlights Albanian cuisine, including byrek and tavë kosi, as well as seafood along the coast. It notes that the British reality television programme TOWIE recently filmed in Dhërmi. The report says growing international interest has also made travel to Albania easier, with direct flights and ferry connections from Corfu to Saranda.
/a.p./
The post Wales Online: Albania draws tourists as affordable Mediterranean holiday destination appeared first on RTSH English.