Fires in Mirdita, mayor: Situation among the most dangerous we have faced

The Mayor of Mirdita, Albert Melyshi, spoke to the media about the wildfire situation in the municipality, describing it as serious and dangerous.

He said the village of Tenë is currently the worst-affected area, where the first evacuations have also taken place. According to Melyshi, some of the fires are suspected to have been deliberately set, and he called on the authorities to investigate the cases and bring those responsible to justice.

“Today, we are facing one of the most dangerous situations we have ever experienced in the Municipality of Mirdita, as the fires were fueled by the wind. We had many families living in scattered forested areas where it was difficult to intervene, but fortunately, so far there has been no damage to homes and no loss of life. We have evacuated residents from two neighborhoods. The situation remains extremely difficult, but with the help of additional firefighting vehicles that have arrived, I hope it will continue to improve. It appears that in some cases the fires were deliberately set, because we have intervened several times this year and extinguished them. It seems there is someone who wants to burn the forests, and I have discussed this with the authorities so that they take action,” he said.

The post Fires in Mirdita, mayor: Situation among the most dangerous we have faced appeared first on Euronews Albania.

Original post Here

News
Rama to gather government cabinet in Pogradec

Prime Minister Edi Rama will gather his government cabinet for a two-day meeting in Pogradec on August 23 and 24. The meeting will be held in a “retreat” format, with ministers expected to report on the work carried out so far and present their priorities for the coming months. The …

News
President Begaj in Italy, welcomed by Mattarella and Meloni; supports Albania’s athletes at the Mediterranean Games

President of the Republic Bajram Begaj has visited Italy, where he attended the opening ceremony of the “Taranto 2026” Mediterranean Games in support of the Albanian team of athletes. During the visit, President Begaj was welcomed by his Italian counterpart, Sergio Mattarella, as well as by Italian Prime Minister Giorgia …

News
Excavations in Zubin Potok completed

The excavation and exhumation of human remains at three locations in Mala Kaludra and Jabuka, in Zubin Potok, where three mass graves have been confirmed, have been completed, Kosovo’s Government Commission on Missing Persons announced. The excavations began in late July in villages in northern Kosovo, and authorities have confirmed …