Excavations in Zubin Potok completed

The excavation and exhumation of human remains at three locations in Mala Kaludra and Jabuka, in Zubin Potok, where three mass graves have been confirmed, have been completed, Kosovo’s Government Commission on Missing Persons announced.

The excavations began in late July in villages in northern Kosovo, and authorities have confirmed that the remains of 23 people were found at three locations. The Commission said the victims had been forcibly disappeared during the war.

“Following the completion of field activities, the process will continue with forensic examinations at the Institute of Forensic Medicine and identification through DNA analysis, with the aim of confirming the identities of the victims and proceeding with further steps in accordance with the relevant procedures, including the official notification of their families,” the Commission said in a statement.

Kosovo institutions suspect that the human remains found in Zubin Potok may belong to a group of 23 Albanians who disappeared in that part of Kosovo in 1999.

The group, known as the “Mitrovica intellectuals group,” has been missing since 19 April 1999. It included doctors, professors, lawyers and other professionals.

A day earlier, Kosovo Police displayed a cache of weapons, uniforms and other military equipment that it said had been found in areas near the sites where the human remains were discovered in Zubin Potok.

Authorities said the weapons will be examined to determine whether they were used in the killings of these individuals or in any other cases under investigation.

Excavations in Zubin Potok began on 28 July following a two-year investigation into suspected war crimes.

Three suspects have been arrested in connection with suspected war crimes against the civilian population following the start of the excavations in northern Kosovo. All three are being held in pre-trial detention.

Kosovo officials have called on Serbia to open its military archives to help clarify the fate of people who went missing during the 1998–1999 war.

According to Kosovo’s Institute for Crimes Committed During the War, 1,577 people remain missing from the 1998–1999 war, while a total of 12,230 war victims have been documented.

The post Excavations in Zubin Potok completed appeared first on Euronews Albania.

Original post Here

News
Sokrat Vata testifies in court and admits to killing the young Portuguese man: I apologize to his family!

Euronews journalist Eni Ferati has obtained the testimony given before the Saranda Court by Sokrat Vata, the suspect in the killing of a 21-year-old Portuguese tourist, Luis Miguel Varela Mendes in Ksamil. Vata admitted responsibility for the killing but gave his account of the circumstances, claiming that amid the mass …

News
Rama to gather government cabinet in Pogradec

Prime Minister Edi Rama will gather his government cabinet for a two-day meeting in Pogradec on August 23 and 24. The meeting will be held in a “retreat” format, with ministers expected to report on the work carried out so far and present their priorities for the coming months. The …

News
President Begaj in Italy, welcomed by Mattarella and Meloni; supports Albania’s athletes at the Mediterranean Games

President of the Republic Bajram Begaj has visited Italy, where he attended the opening ceremony of the “Taranto 2026” Mediterranean Games in support of the Albanian team of athletes. During the visit, President Begaj was welcomed by his Italian counterpart, Sergio Mattarella, as well as by Italian Prime Minister Giorgia …