Albania’s removal from FATF money laundering gray list met with optimism

TIRANA, Oct. 29 – Albania’s recent removal from the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) gray list of countries grappling with money laundering deficiencies has garnered cautious optimism, with financial experts emphasizing the need for continued vigilance. 

The decision, made by FATF, an intergovernmental organization created through a G7 initiative, has positive implications for Albania’s image and financial transaction costs, according to Finance Minister Ervin Mete, who made the news public at a press conference last week.

Albania was placed on the watchdog’s gray list back in 2020, a situation that prompted concerns about the nation’s efforts in combating money laundering and associated ills such as organized crime and corruption. 

Mete attributed the positive move to the country’s ongoing commitment to adhere to the FATF’s recommendations, adding Albania would fulfill its international commitments in this area. 

“This decision has a number of positive outcomes, both in terms of image and in easing the costs of financial transactions in the banking system at home and abroad,” Mete said. “It is encouraging and motivating news for us to continue strengthening the fight against money laundering.” 

Experts have noted that the Albanian government’s decision to withdraw from the tax amnesty initiative played a pivotal role in FATF’s decision. 

“We will not undertake any measure that contradicts the principles in this area, the recommendations of the FATF, or that contradicts similar practices undertaken in other countries,” Mete said.

Moreover, justice system reform and renewed investigations in this area are also helping, experts say. 

Gent Sejko, the governor of Albania’s central bank, also weighed in at the press briefing with Mete and International Monetary Fund mission representatives. 

“This is extremely positive news, tied to the further positive progress of the financial and banking system and the entire economy, and it will be reflected not only in the business climate but also in the ability of the financial system to support businesses with investments and financing small, medium and large,” Sejko said.

Original post Here

News
Excavations in Zubin Potok completed

The excavation and exhumation of human remains at three locations in Mala Kaludra and Jabuka, in Zubin Potok, where three mass graves have been confirmed, have been completed, Kosovo’s Government Commission on Missing Persons announced. The excavations began in late July in villages in northern Kosovo, and authorities have confirmed …

News
Sokrat Vata testifies in court and admits to killing the young Portuguese man: I apologize to his family!

Euronews journalist Eni Ferati has obtained the testimony given before the Saranda Court by Sokrat Vata, the suspect in the killing of a 21-year-old Portuguese tourist, Luis Miguel Varela Mendes in Ksamil. Vata admitted responsibility for the killing but gave his account of the circumstances, claiming that amid the mass …

News
Rama to gather government cabinet in Pogradec

Prime Minister Edi Rama will gather his government cabinet for a two-day meeting in Pogradec on August 23 and 24. The meeting will be held in a “retreat” format, with ministers expected to report on the work carried out so far and present their priorities for the coming months. The …