Ankara NATO summit must be “implementation and delivery summit”

TIRANA, July 1 – NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte said the alliance summit due next week in Ankara should focus on implementation and delivery, with defence spending, support for Ukraine and defence industrial production set as top priorities.

Rutte said allies must concentrate on fulfilling commitments made at last year’s Hague summit, particularly on increasing defence expenditure. He noted that European allies and Canada have significantly raised spending, adding nearly 250 billion dollars over the past two years.

Support for Ukraine will remain a central pillar, he said, alongside efforts to accelerate defence industrial output across the alliance. He stressed that production timelines remain too long despite recent improvements, while overall capacity is still insufficient.

The NATO chief underlined the need to “build NATO 3.0”, describing it as a stronger Europe within a stronger alliance. He said defence production is a key element of deterrence and warned that allies also face shortages in military personnel.

Turning to industrial capacity, Rutte highlighted Turkey’s growing role, saying the country has become a major defence industry hub with around 3,000 companies in the sector. He described Turkey as an important contributor, pointing to its expanding technological base.

Rutte said progress has been made across all three priorities but suggested one could emerge as dominant during the summit, which will also feature the NATO Defence Industry Forum on its opening day.

The Ankara summit, scheduled for 7–8 July, will gather heads of state and government from NATO member countries. It will be the alliance’s 36th summit and the second hosted by Turkey, after Istanbul in 2004.

/a.p./

The post Ankara NATO summit must be “implementation and delivery summit” appeared first on RTSH English.

Original post Here

News
Rama to gather government cabinet in Pogradec

Prime Minister Edi Rama will gather his government cabinet for a two-day meeting in Pogradec on August 23 and 24. The meeting will be held in a “retreat” format, with ministers expected to report on the work carried out so far and present their priorities for the coming months. The …

News
President Begaj in Italy, welcomed by Mattarella and Meloni; supports Albania’s athletes at the Mediterranean Games

President of the Republic Bajram Begaj has visited Italy, where he attended the opening ceremony of the “Taranto 2026” Mediterranean Games in support of the Albanian team of athletes. During the visit, President Begaj was welcomed by his Italian counterpart, Sergio Mattarella, as well as by Italian Prime Minister Giorgia …

News
Excavations in Zubin Potok completed

The excavation and exhumation of human remains at three locations in Mala Kaludra and Jabuka, in Zubin Potok, where three mass graves have been confirmed, have been completed, Kosovo’s Government Commission on Missing Persons announced. The excavations began in late July in villages in northern Kosovo, and authorities have confirmed …