Environment minister tells MEPs any Zvërnec project will undergo full environmental assessment

TIRANA, July 1 – Environment Minister Sofjan Jaupaj met a delegation of European Parliament members on Tuesday to discuss the proposed Narta–Zvërnec project. The delegation included Tineke Strik, Daniel Freund, Cristina Guarda, Jutta Paulus and Anna Strolenberg.

During the meeting, Jaupaj said no final project proposal has reached the competent authorities. He added that no construction has started because authorities have not issued a building permit.

Addressing the project’s future, the minister said the government will handle every step in line with Albanian legislation and European Union law. He assured the MEPs that any proposal submitted for review would undergo a full environmental impact assessment based on the highest professional standards.

The assessment, he said, would include full transparency, public consultation and the participation of all competent institutions. He added that every decision would rely on scientific evidence, specialised expertise and full compliance with the law, while protecting biodiversity, natural habitats, protected species and the area’s ecological integrity.

Turning to Albania’s EU accession process, Jaupaj reaffirmed the country’s commitment to aligning its environmental legislation with EU standards under Chapter 27 on Environment and Climate Change. He also told the delegation that Albanian institutions would continue to act transparently and responsibly, ensuring that environmental protection and the public interest remain at the centre of every decision.

/a.p./

The post Environment minister tells MEPs any Zvërnec project will undergo full environmental assessment appeared first on RTSH English.

Original post Here

News
Rama to gather government cabinet in Pogradec

Prime Minister Edi Rama will gather his government cabinet for a two-day meeting in Pogradec on August 23 and 24. The meeting will be held in a “retreat” format, with ministers expected to report on the work carried out so far and present their priorities for the coming months. The …

News
President Begaj in Italy, welcomed by Mattarella and Meloni; supports Albania’s athletes at the Mediterranean Games

President of the Republic Bajram Begaj has visited Italy, where he attended the opening ceremony of the “Taranto 2026” Mediterranean Games in support of the Albanian team of athletes. During the visit, President Begaj was welcomed by his Italian counterpart, Sergio Mattarella, as well as by Italian Prime Minister Giorgia …

News
Excavations in Zubin Potok completed

The excavation and exhumation of human remains at three locations in Mala Kaludra and Jabuka, in Zubin Potok, where three mass graves have been confirmed, have been completed, Kosovo’s Government Commission on Missing Persons announced. The excavations began in late July in villages in northern Kosovo, and authorities have confirmed …