New copyright bill aligns Albania with European Union rules

TIRANA, July 1 – Albania’s new copyright bill will strengthen the protection of creators and rights holders in the digital environment while aligning national legislation with European Union rules, Deputy Economy and Innovation Minister Martin Kajo said on Tuesday.

Speaking at a conference on digital and audiovisual piracy organised by the National Council for European Integration, Kajo said combating online piracy remains a key priority under Chapter 7 of Albania’s EU accession negotiations on intellectual property rights.

He said the draft law builds on the European Union’s Digital Single Market Directive and introduces advanced mechanisms to protect copyright online. The legislation also shifts greater responsibility to digital platforms by requiring them to obtain the necessary authorisations and remove unauthorised content.

In addition, Kajo said the bill establishes an administrative mechanism to handle online copyright violations. The process ranges from complaints by rights holders to content removal orders and, if necessary, technical blocking, while preserving the right to judicial appeal.

The chief negotiator for Chapter 7 added that the draft law grants Albanian press publishers the right to seek compensation from digital platforms using their content. It also strengthens contractual rights for authors and performers through greater transparency and fair remuneration.

He also announced the creation of a dedicated anti-online piracy unit within the Copyright Directorate to support enforcement of the new legislation.

/a.p./

The post New copyright bill aligns Albania with European Union rules appeared first on RTSH English.

Original post Here

News
Rama to gather government cabinet in Pogradec

Prime Minister Edi Rama will gather his government cabinet for a two-day meeting in Pogradec on August 23 and 24. The meeting will be held in a “retreat” format, with ministers expected to report on the work carried out so far and present their priorities for the coming months. The …

News
President Begaj in Italy, welcomed by Mattarella and Meloni; supports Albania’s athletes at the Mediterranean Games

President of the Republic Bajram Begaj has visited Italy, where he attended the opening ceremony of the “Taranto 2026” Mediterranean Games in support of the Albanian team of athletes. During the visit, President Begaj was welcomed by his Italian counterpart, Sergio Mattarella, as well as by Italian Prime Minister Giorgia …

News
Excavations in Zubin Potok completed

The excavation and exhumation of human remains at three locations in Mala Kaludra and Jabuka, in Zubin Potok, where three mass graves have been confirmed, have been completed, Kosovo’s Government Commission on Missing Persons announced. The excavations began in late July in villages in northern Kosovo, and authorities have confirmed …